Mar 4, 2011

Psychology 101

Are your family's stacks off-balance?  Try getting back to basics.  Find the missing needs!

When Abraham Maslow created his Hierarchy of Needs, I imagine he thought of the bottom row as a kind of throw-away.  In short: food, water, sleep, and sex.  No brainers, right? 

In 2011, our Land of Opportunity runs 24-7, yet it can be challenging to meet our basic physiological needs!  Can "food" be  purchased with a debit card behind the wheel of a mini-van?  Does a 20 oz bottle of diet soda hydrate?  Is sleep in a car seat or on a sectional with the tv blaring restorative?  And make sure you make time for sex.  Make time?  Sheesh.

Attack your time management stacks pyramid style.  Take a Psych 101 lesson from the chapter on Humanistic Psychology and prioritize that bottom red row.  Make old Maslow proud... 


For me, respecting my basic needs means cutting out the bottle of  Coke.  Sometimes I switch to Organic Root Beer first. (Try sipping that from a brown glass bottle at a stoplight.  Always gives me pause.)  I find the rest of my reds are generally in order, but when my inner stacks need to re-sync, I have usually neglected water.  
Down the hatch!

No comments:

Post a Comment