Jan 3, 2011

Pencil Giving Needs

     Recently saw an ad for teachers addressing "pencil giving needs."  Throughout my stint as a classroom teacher, I stocked a container in the classroom for birthdays.  It held crown-making materials, a big birthday badge, and an assortment of colorful gift pencils.  When a student celebrated a birthday, the anticipation of access to this all important box, and subsequent pencil selection, was cause for a little extra celebration.
     These days, my "pencil giving needs" involve keeping sharp pencils on hand for homework.  I do, however, keep a designated Birthday Box in a back cupboard of the kitchen.  The current contents?...

Two gaudy polyester Happy Birthday hats,

one Happy Birthday banner - 4' long,

20 "Boy Assorted" balloons
(leftover from a package of 72?),

a baggie of new and slightly loved birthday candles,

a colorful assortment of really cheap!
leftover plastic leis, 

AND...

a half-empty roll of yellow crepe paper!


     You say it's your birthday?  Give me a minute...I'll stick a few candles in a brick of cheese, throw on a plastic lei, and festive up the place!   Who knows, I might even give you a freshly sharpened pencil :)




No comments:

Post a Comment