May 3, 2011

What to Wear - The Six Items or Less Clothing Diet

Fourth in a series:
Six Items or Less - becoming a habit.   

After applying the Six Items or Less philosophy to my clothes for two months, true change began to set in!  No longer racing around in the morning trying to figure out what to wear, I could focus on the task ahead.  I learned it's NOT all about the accessories (It's All About the Accessories, Right?) and I certainly learned What NOT to Wear.

I also learned that, because of the temperature controlled world we live in, my clothes did not get THAT dirty.  It was rare that I would sweat or play in dirt! without time to change.  As a result, I began changing out of the selected items as soon as possible.  This way, I could get a 2nd, or 3rd! use out of them before laundering.  Two particular cotton t-shirts and yoga pants became my uniform around the house - or when getting sweaty or dirty.

I learned to hang-up my clothes.  I know, not a big deal, but it was not my habit.  Take it off.  Hang it up.

In anticipation of November, I began to scrutinize my wardrobe and add to the donation pile.  Sweaters with any trace of wool - gone!  Too itchy.  Cropped pants - gone!  They look all wrong on me because they hike up in back.   Cute tops that hung limply at the wrong length no matter how much I liked them - gone!

November was upon me, and I was ready.  I thought through my month - Homebound Tutor for special needs child, Battle of the Books coach at the Elementary School, Thanksgiving hostess, Temple Library volunteer...I spent 30 minutes here and there scrutinizing my options.  The clear winner was the black stretch pant, as it could be dressed up or down.  Two cardigans followed.  And my favorite brown corduroys.

In the closet, I pulled 10 brown hangers to use as a guide for my new hanging habit.  And culled my November wardrobe to 10.  No need to limit all the way to six.  I had learned my lessons.

The Six Items or Less challenge reminds me of when I tried the South Beach Diet.  Eating consciously and eating the good stuff - spinach, tomato, and egg omelettes.  I didn't last two months without cheese mixed in, but I carry habits from that experience to this day.  Whenever I need to drop a pound or two, I skip the carbs.  And I always have eggs for breakfast!  

Thursday...Synopsis and takeaways.

No comments:

Post a Comment